Friday, October 17, 2014

Painting here

Painting over here,  at least as I do it,  requires a different technique than at home.  I make my stretcher bars and stretch my own canvas,  yes,  but the canvas that I use is 10 oz. Painters drop cloth that I bring from the States.   Then I gesso it with a water based primer that I buy from the village hardware store.   This results in a hard surface that is very rough,  more like a coarse sandpaper.  It is impossible to simply brush on the paint.   It just won't cover.  Instead,  I have learned to make a mixture of paint,  acrylic medium,  and water infused with a flow agent. This results in a juicy paint that I apply liberally with a coarse bristled brush,  grinding the paint into the canvas.  The brushes are quickly worn down by the coarse surface. Lots of paint is required.   The whole act is very physical. 

My little atelier measures only about 7 x 14 feet working space.  This size,  I am delighted to say,  works just fine.  It is set about 3 feet below grade (which results in continuing water problems) and has two nice windows which open for the air onto a small field with almond trees and Bird of Paradise plants.  Morning light can be glorious, especially with the white plastered walls.  But except in summer,  or on bright mornings,  it is impossible to actually see the colors I am applying! Shades of green,  red,  blue are impossible to discern!  Especially at night,  when I usually paint.  So painting requires some instinct, a little knowledge,  and lots of guesswork.  Occasionally I fire up a halogen lamp which I purchased for the purpose which brings another dimension altogether. 

A little domestic wine also helps dilation or other discernment.  Occasionally I step out to the patio for a cigar, which I find also helps.  I do have a fan for smoking inside but use it very rarely. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG this is a fabulous story and I loved reading every word of it... I want to be on that patio right now.

Charles

Anonymous said...

quite the description! sums up the process nicely, cigars and all.