Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Fwd: Ah ha! Part 2 -- Backfire




-------- Original message --------
From jhurd <jhurd@qsoup.net>
Date: 10/20/2014 17:44 (GMT+01:00)
To Dsoup <dbrute.dsoup@blogger.com>
Subject Ah ha! Part 2 -- Backfire


So M☆☆☆ surprises me and drives all the way from Splitska to see me.  Maybe 25 kilometers or so.   I am busy cleaning the bathroom but sit on the patio with her.  "John, " she says,  "I have come to Milna to see you.   Your Black Madonna (Magna Mater) painting is haunting me.   I must have it.  I have collected paintings from all over Europe.... Poland,  Russia, Bulgaria....I have many on my walls in London,  but this one I must have. " 

Well, I didn't really expect to see her again and still I am feeling fairly secure because I know she is going to offer me about $375. USD, which she does and which I intend to refuse..  "All I have is 2000 Kuna, " she tells me. 

"Ah," I tell her, safe in the knowledge that I wont have to part with my painting after all, "I am flattered but I can't sell it for that.   I must keep my prices stable." (Ahem. Clever me.)

There follows a little exploratory discussion to see if I really mean it, then --  "I must have it, " she repeats, "let me see it again. " So I trudge upstairs,  and bring it down. "OK. She says,  "I am haunted by this. That is so beautiful.  I must go get more money. "

Now I panic.   This was not what I expected.  Sell my beautiful painting?  What to do?  Be honest instead of politely dodging?

"M☆☆☆," I say,  "This is generous of you,  but I really don't want to sell it. "  Ouch.

Strangely enough, this she understands. . . "Oh, that is why.  Well, maybe paint a copy.   I am here until Saturday." (Ahem again!)

I expect to hear more about this from mutual friends here.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a fun story.

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love it when writers tell a story that includes "Ahem"? Always my favorite!

Paint a copy! What a perfect solution for all!