Friday, July 23, 2010

Bits

Friday – 7/23

No internet except at internet cafe . . .

I went swimming at 5:30 a.m.  Beautiful!  The water was delicious and I was in sole possession of the beach. 

Snafu or politics?  Last night we had two competing musical events in the village within a hundred or so yards . . .ah, meters . . . of each other.  A couple of the local bars had their annual karaoke night, while up by the church a three-piece band from Postira, another village on the island, sang and played powerful rhythmic numbers from 10 p.m. until 1:30 a.m.  They were great: a six-string uke (just like I long for), a drum set, and a clarinet . . . started and ended with Lou Reed . . .

I see about 4 – 6 new businesses down toward the marina . . . all tourist oriented, of course . .

Ran into my neighbors as soon as I arrived . . . great grandparents, grandparents, parents, a four-year old girl and a 8 month old boy . . . they were immediately off to their secluded property on the other end of the island for a few days (the vineyard adjoining the naturist beach)  but managed to fill me a bottle of the red wine we made last year . . .Ivo was apologetic as to the quality, but I thought he was too sensitive on this . . .  it was wonderful, light and dry . . .

ATM ate my debit card . . . dang!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lovely to hear you are settling in and enjoying yourself right away.
We are hunkered down against 100 plus heat indices here for the next couple of days.
Be well.
PA Hurds