Saturday, March 31, 2012

Chaz is Empty in: The Night

The Night

The night has become
Useless for me to sleep
I slowly walk around our
Home looking for traces
Of you

I stand by the fireplace and
Ask if you want me to
Start a fire and all I hear is
The wind outside

I slouch down into the purple
Chair and I squint to see if any
Shadows of you are in the
Kitchen calling out to me
Asking if I see the woodpecker or
The cardinal in the feeder
But I can only imagine your
Beautiful face smiling at me
While you make tea

The night has become useless for
Me as I am hopelessly adrift in the
Space between your leaving and
Then returning to my arms

For a few days I can remember your
Intimacy with me but now I am losing ground to forgetting how you move and forgetting how you speak and forgetting how you twirl your hair

Yes even in our cool blue bedroom
That you love so much the night is useless to me and just last night I no longer could hear the birds & the geese and the crickets sing my
Heart was too far away and even this
Room seemed useless to me

I stare at calendars and clocks and quietly watch as the hours pass until
You return and I walk by the cactus in
Our hallway and promise you will be
Home in just a few days

Charles Grimes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Empty is the night.