Monday, August 24, 2009

When Julia was Here








I was trying to get to the coffee one morning when I became aware that
Julia was describing something to me: "A little black crustacean . . ."

'What?" I said, 'Was that a dream?"

"No, it was on the patio. About so big," she spreads her thumb and
forefinger," and with a tail curved like this." she curls her finger
upwards."

"Oh, you mean a scorpion!" I say.

"What's a scorpion?" she asks.

No matter, since she had whisked him into her dustpan and tossed him out
into the grass, whatever he was.

I tell Almir this story as we are making our way home one night. We
both laugh as we enter my patio.
There in the middle under the light is a big, black cicada.

Almir, the city man, peers at it suspiciously and edges around it.

He looks at me. "Is that a scorpion?" he asks.


(Image from keepingupwith-kathy.blogspot.com)

No comments: