Monday, July 20, 2009

Edison Eye Invitational (C&M)

EDISON EYE INVITATIONAL

Chapter 1

I spoke with the Baron this morning and he suggested I drop my painting off tonight instead of waiting till next Friday night. He said the gallery was open until 6 but he would be home tonight so just drop around the back with the painting if I arrived after 6 pm. At 6 pm I was laying on my back on the dock with the sun in my eyes and Melanie announced we would not make it to the Edison Eye by 6 pm.
















We arrived in Edison at about 7:15 and Melanie dropped me off at the Edison Eye and said she would be back in a few minutes after taking some photographs of
the sunset. As an aside, Edison was gorgeous tonight, so incredibly gorgegous. I walked around to the back of the Edison Eye and began to make my way to Dana's home past the calla lilies, the lavender and Hollyhocks and was met by Dana's dog who was barking and pacing around trying to determine whether I was afraid or not and then I heard Dana's voice yell "who is it?"















I walked in the kitchen door with my painting and showed it to both Dana and Toni who was eating some ice cream and berries. Dana was leaning back in his chair and mumbled something about whether or not the painting was a common household object or not... a vase? We moved past that faux pas into the fact that Toni had wanted to go sailing tonight and was sorry Dana had told me to drop by tonight. That was a bit awkward especially after Dana had just said I was an SOB for being late right before I arrived. I kept my composure and Toni was very nice and then Dana went to get the sign in sheet for the show. He yelled out to me "Where is Hurd's piece for the show?" Again I kept my composure and said, "Why John's in Croatia, in Splitt."

Toni yelled out in glee and asked what the Hurd's were doing in Splitt and I said actually they have a home on Brac in Milna and she smiled and laughed even harder. "My family is from the island of Solta right across from Brac. Dana and I want to go there to visit my family. Do you think they would rent their house to us? I assured Toni I could broker a vacation stay for them in your house on Milna. She was so delighted by the connection of the Skagit to the Dalmations that she took me out to show me her boat. It was a twelve footer that she said would be perfect for sailing around Brac.















Meanwhile, Melanie had driven down the road and locked her keys in the car while getting her camera out of the trunk. She had to hitch hike back into Edison to find me and then call the Road Side maintanence 800 number with Saab. She was calling the tow truck while Toni and I looked at her flowers and Dana walked around on the deck saying how he hated to lock his keys in the car so much that he stopped locking his car up at all.

Melanie and I walked across the street to the Edison tavern and stood outside waiting for the tow truck while a Bluegrass band played inside the tavern. After about 15 minutes a very large tow truck arrived and it turned out the driver lived in Edison and did work for Saab on the weekends and farmed during the week. That was lucky because otherwise we would have waited an hour for a truck to come from Bellingham.















We got to the car and while the tow truck driver opened up our car Melanie took the pictures of the sunset and the slough she had wanted to an hour before. What could have been a disaster turned out in the end to be a pleasant experience.

Stay tuned for Chapter Two: Saturday night at the Edison Eye.

Oh yeah, about the brokerage fee for setting up the rental of your home to Toni and Dana. Standard international rates apply.

As always Mr. Big Shot

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This story could have been a lot funnier.

Melanie