Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Dateline Milna 7-15

90 today. In the shade. A great Dalmatian lounging day. Got a fan going and reading Herodotus and how the Egyptians do everything backwards from the rest of the world. (Reading Herodotus since Chaz shamed me the other day when I was speculating about the cause of the depopulation of the Balkans in the neolithic by saying, 'Don't you know that? It's in the first paragraph of Herodotus.' Oh boy.)

Bella Bijela is proving to be a stubborn woman. Who can blame her, abandoned for the last 2 years ?. . . heck, she even had a big, insulting hornet nest in her right taillight.

I've made three trips up Mlin to woo her: spent money too. (That usually works.) New battery. Fresh gas. Starting fluid. All to juice her. Gonna have to try a mechanic, I guess. I hope she didn't overhear me saying that I would 'trade her for a boat in an instant,' or she'll never run again. Poor Bella!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, it was Thucydides in the History of the Pelopnnesian War who began his study of the 20 some year conflict between Sparta and Athens with a review of early Greek History.

At times we need to be careful what artists say over dinner. Maybe Chaz mixed up his Historians after yet another libation.

Some will argue that History began with Thucydides others claim oral History ended with Thucydides. I prefer to believe he was only attempting to give an understanding of the incomparable struggle between two states so close and yet so far apart.

JP Woodcock