Friday, December 25, 2015

In the Dark of the Night, A Dark, Dark Roast

































So after talking to Shannon about Steve's hobby of roasting coffee, I decide to try it.  Julia wrangles some green Honduran beans out of a helpful clerk at the co-op.  I look for equipment.  But all I can find is an old Chinese wok to heat the beans in and a hobby heat gun for the heat source!  Nevertheless, in the dark in the rain Spencer and I give it a try.  After ten or fifteen minutes, Spencer wanders back inside to be warm and dry and not bored, comes back out again and stirs the beans.  I am still heating.  Ultimately I manage to get the beans through the first crack, then the second crack and onto a dark but uneven roast.  Hey!  it worked!  Sort of.  I am drinking the result this morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

too funny!

dbrute said...

You know, I've been drinking that coffee the last few mornings and it tastes pretty darn good! I'm going to try again.