Monday, July 04, 2011

Ants in Borneo



















Julia writes:  I’m still alive and well...but I have to say, I miss home! Some of the adventure to traveling is just not there like it was. I’m in Kalimantan (or Borneo) staying in a Subud community – it’s a pioneering community, having the only Western standards in Central Kalimantan, with a school that subsidizes local Dyak students (called ‘National Plus’ – the highest recognized standards) along with ‘Western’ students. Plus there are several social projects around and then there are the mining ventures – still in the exploratory phases and several other things. . .  I was able to go for a four hour ride . . .

On Friday I’ll return to Jakarta for a few more nights before I leave for Greece – another Subud meeting for Central and Eastern Europe for a week. Then I go to Milna. But the way things are working out, it could be John will not come over this year and I may return home early. Just spend enough time in Milna to check up on things, see our friend Almir, from Bosnia, and close up the place for another year ...)

It’s hot and humid and it’s very quiet here, not much going on. . . The internet is spotty and there’s not really a phone except at the reception or people’s ‘hand phones’ as they call them (cell phones). . .Tomorrow we are hiring a driver to take us into Palangkaraya – the nearest big town and the capital of Central Kalimantan.

No comments: