Saturday, January 15, 2011

snow removal

I am the snow removal coordinator here at our crazy co-housing life style choice
this morning I have ordered a couple of pallets of salt
met the delivery truck and unloaded 98 bags of salt
at first I thought I was on my own stacking it up and 50 lbs times 98 bags
doesn't sound so good in your head when you start stacking
but four others came by and stacked most of the salt while I
made one other person an unofficial member of the snow removal team
with all of the unofficial perks thereby involved he is the driver
of our aged bobcat equipment and for plowing the parking lot and
I knighted a twelve year old boy into the snow removal team
as a full member after he heroically shoveled my walk this morning
I do try to take advantage of my position of power as best I can



I have acquired a free poker table this morning also while
I was waiting for the salt delivery truck
This I also received because of my largess as the snow
removal coordinator or should I say the keeper of reality for the
snow removal team.  People here have definite ideas about how
snow should be removed.  I personally think safety should be the
major issue but most people have other ideas.  In fact one outraged
parent admonished the snow shovelers for clearing a path down the hill
to my house because now the little children won't be able to sled down
the hill.  It was either an 80 year old fellow who was worried about his 
safety or the 12 year old who I just knighted who did this deed.  I told
the parent to go after either one of those culprits by herself.  Wear 
herself out I said.  Anyway I am excited about the poker table.  It has a real
wood base with a formica top which can easily be cleaned after the
requisite spill of alcohol.  I also mentioned to the mother who complained
about the lack of sledding possibilities now after the unfortunate clearing
of snow, at least for her, that I thought the kid's room at the common house
would make a great place for a saloon.  For some reason she hung up on 
me and muttered something about why don't I go back to Seattle.

Charles

6 comments:

JRH said...

First, I have to admire what a clever rogue you are.

Second, I have to wonder, how you always get yourself into these community positions.

Third, I think a good cleaning with scotch would help that poker table immensely.

Fourth, that 80 year old has had his fun, it's time for the 12 year old to sled!

JRH said...

and fifth,
why don't you take her advice and get your ass West?

Anonymous said...

all good questions

people expect a lot from me
so they put me in these community
positions of organization and then
the realization that chaos surrounds
me sets in

i was thinking all day yesterday about
my father's love of canadian whiskey
and my scotch collection in Seattle

Charles
I would love to spill some of that
Scotch on the new table

getting out west would be a good thing
i left out the #@%# which the neighbor lady
prefaced my getting myself back to Seattle

Anonymous said...

Wait! You left a collection of Scotch in Seattle? Are you sure it's safe? do you need someone to, um, watch over it?

Anonymous said...

98 x 50 = knight some kid to do it

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that poker table . . . now we just need some gents to sit at it and some $$$$ to play . . ."maverick is my name" . . .