Sunday, September 06, 2009

Tile Status, Dateline Milna

Man, seven days into laying a 200 sq.ft. floor and I'm still not done!
(That doesn't count a few days prep.) Who knew?

The work is hard and I am slow (and achey. and slow.), and I did slack
off a couple of half-days and today (somehow) forgot to get more mastic,
it's Sunday, so I am forced into inaction. Well, there's a couple of
things I can still do . . .

Slavko tells me that I am taking 3 x's as long and using 3 x's the
mastic as is normal. Gotta glue those suckers down good.

Friends have helped . . . Ivo has loaned me some tools and came over on
the first day and laid tile for a couple of hours . . . plus he drops by
once a day, loudly announcing that "Control is here!" and inspects my
work, usually pointing out some sloppy work and asking "Why, John?
Why?" . . . Slavko has wisely stayed away for the most part once I got
started, but he taught me how to lay tile, drove me to hardware stores
looking for tile, helped me get supplies, showed me how to prep . . .
and has fed me twice in the last 3 days!!!!! (I actually had two meals
in one day on Thursday! I will get fat.)

Strangely ebough, I am really enjoying this but I need to finish this
this week so it doesn't interfere with our big wine-making plans. The
grapes are ready!

No comments: