Friday, February 01, 2008

Mr. Big Shot is Back for Valentine's Day


My mother was attractive, intelligent and athletic. She studied diligently as a youth and continued her education in college and then received a Master’s in education in 1937 from Washington State University. She taught school in a one room school house and then became a county extension agent in Pacific County and taught poor farmers how to make mattresses and developed this business for farmers into a cottage industry in South Western Washington. She loved to dance and ski and entertain. I believe she and my father loved each other very much and once the war was over all she could think about was having a family. Then she gave birth to my sister, me and my brother and we never got to know that woman ever . . .(more)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cha . . .er, Mr. BS --
This is a wonderful piece of writing. Insightful and heart-rending. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You have done a great job of becoming a feeling person who grew up in a home where is was hard to do that.
Believe in yourself and your life and the love you have to give.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written.

Anonymous said...

tim, thanks for your comment. it means a lot to me.

charles

Anonymous said...

I keep coming back to this piece. I've read it three times and am amazed at the warmth and humor you've instilled in it, I am touched deeply by the truth and compassion with which you tell the story. Captivating!

-Kyra