Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Maroon

This year I have rediscovered some Napthamide Maroon that I had on my paint table, a delightful color that makes gorgeous washes and is strong and bold in masstone also.  I fell in love. 

Unfortunately, my jar of paint was pretty old and the acrylic had kinda tarred up and it was difficult to get it in paintable condition, despite adding flow agent, water, and medium and mooshing it all about with my palette knife.

So I decided to buy some more . . .

EXCEPT I couldn't find it anywhere.  On the web, I looked at Blick Art supplies and Amazon and did a general search.  I called local stores, Dakota Arts, Tri-Dee, Michaels.  I even double-checked the pronunciation of "Napthamide."  Nobody had any. 

I kept searching the web and found the answer: 

it hasn't been made since 1997
when the single supplier went out of business
!!! 

My poor, poor, old paint!!

My Maroon was a single-pigment color but I found advice on a mixture that was supposed to approximate the color:

"11 parts Quinacridone Violet
12 parts Quinacridone Burnt Orange
2.0 parts Dioxazine Purple

This makes a great replacement for the undertone and washes. Reduce the Quinacridone Burnt. Orange to 11 parts and add 0.7 parts Carbon Black to create the masstone."

OK........

Lately, I found a "permanent maroon," also a mixture of pigments, that is somewhat similar.

But it's just not the same,
you know?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your loss of such a magnificent color John. Where did you originally get this fabulous paint?

Charles

dbrute said...

Yeah, yeah. So, I stole it from you about 10 years ago. All's fair in art . . .?

Anonymous said...

'97 was a good year...