Monday, December 10, 2012

Re: Happy Birthday -- News

Sam writes (in part):

"We are building a 14x14' writing studio that can double as a small guest house. We had Lonnie mill us a huge stack of 4x8 cedar beams, and we're making a sort of Lincoln Log cabin. The foundation piers are down, and the first few rounds of beams. Progress has slowed. I hope to get back to work soon. 

Having Lonnie here is interesting in many ways. Parenting, at this age, is way different than it used to be. I sort of thought it would stop some day. Hah! 

Writing. I had a little book come out from Village Books that is serving as a fundraiser for the state PL position (I had to buy my own book). VB did the production on their espresso machine, but is actually serving as the legitimate publisher, as well, and handles all the money. $8.50 of the $10 purchase fee goes straight to Humanities Washington. I'm just glad to be done with it. See: http://www.villagebooks.com/book/9780986009716    Carnegie Mellon won't be issuing the new book of poems--The Fierce Bird of Memory--until 2014. Meanwhile, Sally and I are working on a prose memoir about our life here on the island and with Brooding Heron Press. It might take a year. So far it's interesting, at any rate, just jotting all this stuff down. I just did a commissioned poem for Artist Trust (did I already tell you this?) that is going to be issued as a small booklet. I'll attach a copy of that, as well. New poems are coming along very slowly. CM wants to issue a New & Selected Poems maybe two years after the next book is out. We shall see . . ."


1 comment:

jrh said...

I can smell the cedar!