Saturday, September 15, 2012

UPdate Notes: Mainland

EArly this week, before Julia arrived, I spent a couple of days in Solin, above Split, with Slavko and Nada.  THey have been working hard on their new house, but took a break when I showed up.  SLavko and I visited the cave Vranjaca.  THat was an pretty profound experience.  VAst caverns filled with curtains, spears, veils, Hindu carvings, lovely women of stone.  WE also visited the Catheral of St. JAcob in Sibenik.  BUilt in 1400's by George the Dalmatian, master mason.  THere was a lot to marvel at there but I was struck by the status of Mary from the 1400's standing upon a great horned crescent of Isis/Ishtar/Artemis.THen before I left for the ferry, Slavko and I discovered and explored a Benedictine complex from 850 a.d. which was located just below his house.  WE discovered hat it had been built on a earlier Roman villa of the 1st or 2nd century.  THere were several sarcophagi about, including a lovely carved one for a Lady Cornelia --'from Cornel the Illyrian, loving daughter, affectionate mother'.  (I have been working to translare the inscription.) THe carving of the pagan Eros was especially nice, signifying eternal life through love.  (UNfortunately, I forgot my camera.)







1 comment:

Uli Day said...

Thanks for sharing this, I looked up about Solin and found how ancient and important it was, pretty amazing!