Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sam and Sally: Leaving Patmos

Today Sam and Sally leave Patmos for a trip through Europe -- Italy, Spain, France . . . here are excerpts from the last week . . .

Sally wrote:

It's early Sat morning; roosters are still crowing away. Got a few more sunrise shots to add to the hundreds we need to weed through and keep our favorites. Sam's back up on the upper patio with notebook, pen, and coffee. I'll go up later when the sun has heated up the cozy little nook with a bench (mostly protected from the wind which seems a constant here) where I can let the sun soak in to store up to take with me. . .  As Sam keeps plastering pics of me in his emails, here's some of him . . .   
 
Sam wrote:    
 
There's a rock in the bay of Petra, where we hiked on Wednesday, that is  rumored to have been the abode of hermits in the 4th century. There are  steps carved into the rock, and you can see where they enhanced the  scooped out "caves" to live in, cut water gathering channels, etc. That  eremitic life has had an appeal to me for a long time. Reminds me of  some of the more remote island hermitages in Ireland, though this is  much older. . . 

No comments: