Sunday, April 06, 2008

Mr. Big Shot Says "How I Survived High School"


1966. That’s the year I started High School. The sting of the Principal’s speech to my class on our graduation day bothered me all summer as I began to build my expectations for the coming year. As I was coming of age, great local heroes were firmly embedded in Omak High School lore and I was uncomfortable with the thought that my class was entering high school with this shroud of under achievement, or even worse maybe our class had the inability to achieve at all. The principal’s speech put such doubt in my mind that I dreaded the first day of classes and facing our collective ineptitude. I had always schemed of my place in high school history. I guess I was dreaming of some sort of glory or golden days spent on the stage of my home town, and being a high school legend was the way to achieve that goal in Omak . . .(continued)

No comments: